Response #1: Favorite NovelsPosted: January 4, 2012
Due before our first class meeting (section 003 meets on Monday night at 6:30 PM, section 002 meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2 PM, both in 292 RB.)
What are your five favorite novels of all time? No more than five. No less that five. Five. Genre doesn’t matter. How old you were when you read them doesn’t matter. But they must be “novels” in whatever way you define that term. Find them and stack them up in front of you. Make a list of all the things they have in common. Not why they are different. What they have in common.
- How were they written? How were they structured?
- What about the lead characters captured you?
- What were the lead characters trying to get or get away from?
- When and how did the novels kick into high gear? Or did they?
- What was the main opposition to the Lead’s objective?
- How did the ending make you feel? Why did it work?
- What else appealed to you? The setting? Theme? The “realness” of it? The lack of realness?
- What kind of reading experience did these books provide?